www.kathleenb.com    Heart of Living    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Forums/Comments  Hop To Forums  Living Food Alchemy    RAW POMEGRANATE CHEESECAKE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RAW POMEGRANATE CHEESECAKE
 Login/Join

posted
Big Grin
So many request for this recipe and here it is, it comes to all of us from the 'SWEET GRATITUDE'
Raw Food Prep. Book. The book is FULL of delicious recipes.

So first you have to make the Pomegranate Juice.

I use about 3-4 Pomegranates depending on the size of the poms.

Cutting the pom horizontally is key to having the seeds pop out easy. So cut horizontal and the over a large bowl tap the seeds into the bowl. Sometimes depending on the ripeness of the fruit, you will have to use your fingers to coax the seeds out. Once all the seeds are out make sure no withe pith is in your bowl. Once you have all that out. Place seeds in blender (vita-mix is best), and pulse to juice the seeds, you want to be sure not to overblend as it will release a tanic acid that will make the juice bitter...so blend gently just enough to juice it. And then using a nut milk bag, strain the juice through and get a clear fresh pomegranate juice. Be sure to keep a few seeds out for garnishing your pie.

I usually make the crust first and set it in the freezer while I am making the juice and the filling, that will get it set nicely to receive the filling.

Almond Crust:
2 cups almonds
3 ounces date paste (see below for that recipe)
1/4 teaspoon liquid vanilla (see below for that recipe)
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Process all ingredients in a food processor until just before powder stage. You want the nuts completely broken up and yet you do not want to get it to a powder stage, similar to a Graham Cracker crust consistency. Coat a spring form pan with ample amount of coconut butter. Press almond mixture into pan coming up along the sides about 1 inch Set crust pan in freezer while mixing the filling.

Pomegranate filling:

2 cups soaked cashews (soak for at least 3 hours, I usually soak overnight and drain rinse and spread out to dry a little)
2 1/4 Cups pomegranate juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
2/4 cup agave ( I use dark raw agave to maintain the integrity of the raw dessert)
1 Tablespoon liquid vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

3 Tablespoons lecithin (which can be purchased at vit cottage or whole foods, be sure you have liquid lechthin)
3/4 Cup Coconut Butter ( I much prefer Artisana Virgin Coconut butter)

In your blender/Vita mix, put all ingredients except lecithin and coconut butter.
Blend until smooth and very creamy. Add lecithin and coconut butter and blend just until incorporated into mixture.

Pour into almond crust and let sit in the freezer for at least an hour. I like it best if it is cooled and not frozen, however I served it recently just out of the freezer and it was delicious.

When you take it out of the freezer you just pop your spring form loose and it will be on the bottom tin, if you are great at these things you can slide it then of the tin and place on serving platter. I sometimes just serve it off the tin, it doesn't seem to last long enough to get tooo fancy with it.

Once out of the freezer garnish with your extra pomegranate seeds and Bon Appetit!

Liquid Vanilla:

Three whole vanilla beans and chop into small pieces. Put them in the blender and add 1 Cup water. Blend until the mixture starts to feel warm and or vanilla beans are completely broken down. Store in tight jar in the refrigerator If you like a particularly strong vanilla add an extra bean.

Date Paste:
Chop into small pieces a cup to two cups of dates (depending upon how much paste you want to make). Place them in the food processor, and add a teaspoon water and blend. If it doesn't "turn" add a little more water. You don't want to add too much water as it will dilute the taste of your paste and will make the dates too wet. So go slow and add no more water than you need to create a paste.

I use the liquid vanilla and date paste in many recipes so I make enough to keep on hand.

ENJOY!!!!

Posts: 2786 | Location: Littleton, CO | Registered: February 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kathleen:
Thanks for the recipe. The piece I took to my friend in Colorado Springs; she stated was amazing in taste.
Thank you for such a high energy setting with food, conversation, and learning on such a beautiful saturday to travel in Colorado.

Posts: 947 | Location: Denver Area | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post